The Oktoberfest is the world's largest Volksfest. It is held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. It is a 16- to 18-day folk festival running from mid- or late-September to around the first Sunday in October, with more than six million people from around the world attending the event every year.
When is the tapping of the barrel, what time does the music play till in the tents and what time is the last call? How long in the evening can you admire the Wiesn from above in the Ferris wheel? All the important opening times for the Oktoberfest. The Wiesn 2022 will take place from September 17 to October 3.
Image source: Oktoberfest.de
- The drinking age for beer and wine in Germany is 16 years old. Distilled alcohols, like spirits, can be purchased at age 18.
- Children are allowed on the festival grounds. Children are allowed in the beer tents as well, but children under six-years-old must leave the tents by 8 p.m., even if they are with their parents.
- You won't have much problem in Munich if you can't speak German. Most Germans started learning English in school as early as age 10, if not before. A large majority of Germans under the age of 50 know enough English to hold a conversation or give you directions.
- There are enough facilities in the tents. But in a tent with thousands of people drinking thousands of liters of beer there also is a clear need for these! For men, this usually means a wait between 5 and 10 minutes in the line. For women, this usually means a wait between 10 and 20 minutes in the line.
- Tips are no more than 10 to 15% of the beer or food price.